Monday, January 26, 2009

The Value of a Jelly-Roll Pan


The value of a ... what? Yes, a jelly-roll pan. Don't ask me what a jelly-roll is, however, because I've never made one or eaten one (to my knowledge), BUT, a jelly-roll PAN is very, very handy for baking. Whenever I am planning to bake a pie that might bubble over, a lasagna that might bubble over (all that cheesy goodness -- YUM!) or scalloped potatoes that might bubble over, I put this jelly-roll pan UNDERNEATH it. Okay ... a couple days ago my husband says to me, "I am going to make dinner Sunday night." And I'm thinking, "COOL! YES! ALL RIGHT!" in my mind. How nice it will be to have a night off from making dinner. I'm not that fond of cooking, mostly because I have to think of an idea, make sure we have all the ingredients, go shopping if we don't, put it all together at a time of day when I'm already out of patience, regardless of how long it takes to prepare everyone seems to gobble it down within 5-7 minutes and then there's the clean up. Weee. So, when he offers to make dinner (which to his credit he does on occasion) then it is a nice treat for me. So, he decides to make butternut squash. In the oven. Without the jelly-roll pan. He just cuts it open and puts it on a cookie sheet. Woops.


This is what happened ...



And this is how he attempted to clean it up .... (bet you didn't know you could use a Shop-Vac for this job, did ya?)


We won't talk about how long it took me to scrub the oven this morning ... or about how the whole house stunk all night from the burned stuff ... or about the gouge of skin that is missing from my right middle finger knuckle ....
We'll just choose to focus on how yummy dinner was! And it was! And *I* didn't have to make it!

After dinner we had a terrific dessert of peach pie and home made whipped cream. Ahhhhh. REAL whipped cream. And then to be utterly decadent, I had Coatina hot cocoa with some of the remaining whipped cream. Pure delight.




Have I mentioned lately that I *LOVE* my Kitchen Aide? Well, I do. And I love my husband, too.



As a side note .... it is very difficult to photograph one's right hand injury when one is right-handed. Try holding the camera still enough to get a shot at close range with your left hand and ONLY your left hand! It took me about 6-7 tries to get one in focus and properly exposed.

3 comments:

kaiserarizona said...

Ok..I just had to laugh at this post on your blog Katherine! It reminded me of the day when I was pregnant with Kyle and Gary decided to mop the kitchen floor. When I came home and took one step in the kitchen door I immediately slid and landed on the floor. I asked him why the floor was so slippery...he said, I don't know..I used this to clean it with..and he held up Endust!

LisAway said...

Husbands! You gotta love 'em. :)

And YUM!

Tricks are for Kidds said...

Kathrine...I love your story about the jelly-roll pan. I am glad you were able to focus on the dinner rather on the oven. But I especially appreciate the picture and comment about the hot chocolate with "real" whipped cream. Oh, yum...how I wish I could have joined you and your hot chocolate