Sunday, October 3, 2010

Garden Kaput

The weather, she has been a changin' ... and the overnight lows are now in the 20's F. The landlords finally put a door on the community greenhouse, but it was a little bit too late for my squash plants and many other plants that were still growing and producing.


This is what happens to squash plants after a night or two below freezing ... all the leaves were ruined. :-/ pouty-face


I quickly harvested the last dozen or so squash from the plant so we could enjoy eating them. It was a great summer project to grow lettuce and squash this year. I enjoyed it a lot and we were blessed with bumper crops. I am already making my plans for next summer!
And, despite the early demise, my squash plant managed to grow this monster for us to consume: as you can see in the photo, that's a USA quarter next to the big yellow squash!


Also, I learned that size does not affect the flavor ... it was yummy!

2 comments:

LisAway said...

That's a big bummer. But what a lovely squash! This year we planted zucchini (which I LOVE) and spinach (which I LOVE even more) and neither of them hatched at ALL! :) But we got lots of chives (I can't believe I have survived so many years without chives in my garden!!) and parsley. :)

Happy winter! ? :)

melita said...

Time for a trip to California? I miss you.