Sunday, December 7, 2014

Leaf Collection

This post is mostly for my family and friends on the West Coast (so they can laugh at the weirdness!).  

I think it's interesting how (and why) the billions of leaves are collected here every Fall/Winter.  I suppose because even though we had trees from which leaves fell in California, it wasn't such an enormous quantity of leaves that trucks and men and special equipment had to come around and collect them.  Everyone just raked their own yards and put them out for the garbage or used a mower to mulch them into the lawn.  Here in Virginia, it's a bit different!

Watching this process kind of reminds me of a joke .... maybe it might be in bad taste to mention it here?  Oh well, whatever.  I will anyway.

How many special workmen with loud, noisy blowers does it take to round up the leaves?

I mean, really?

These photos will answer it for you:

off to the right in the cul-de-sac is the large
white, vacuum truck which sucks up all the piles


Five!  It takes five!
Four to stand around in a circle with backpack style blowers and one to man the SUPER blower on wheels which, as they aim it underneath everyone's cars in the parking lot, scatters every bit of trash, rock, tree branch and other lovely material to sandblast your paint job.  >.<

Why they attempted it on a rainy day ... also leaves me shaking my head.

No comments: