Friday, October 17, 2008

Fathers & Sons Outing

Last weekend (see how far behind I am at posting!) Charles, Ian & Brian went on a one night camp out with other LDS members from the McLean Virginia Stake. Brian loves to go camping! Here he is enjoying the scenery and practicing to be the navigator (map in hand).




Today Charles & Ian are headed to a Boy Scout Camp about 35 miles from our home for the Mountain Man Rendezvous overnight camping trip. The weather is cooperating nicely as it is in the mid-60's F with the overnight low expected to be about 45 F. This is great to keep the mosquitoes at bay. At the Mountain Man Rendezvous, one meal will be prepared and eaten without utensils. (hey that sounds like home, doesn't it? oh wait ... maybe I shouldn't admit to that here in public) As part of the meal, they plan to make muffins in hollowed out oranges. I am looking forward to seeing these photos! They will also cook bacon & eggs in a paper bag over a fire. Not sure exactly how this works, but okay. (you see I could greatly benefit from these rustic ways -- far fewer dishes to wash!) Some of the other activities include throwing tomahawks, shooting black powder rifles, archery, and of course building a proper fire (and getting it started using flint).

1 comment:

LisAway said...

So glad to hear from you again!!

Mmmmm, orange muffins! I hope you'll post pictures. And the bacon in a bag? I don't really get it either...

Hope those guys have a great time!