Monday, April 6, 2009

Not That Crafty

I'm really not that into crafts, but I do like to make a few things (mostly Stampin' Up things). When we remodeled the main level of our house, we added a custom bench in the entry way to act like a mini-mudroom. I spotted several bench cushions in Crate & Barrel's catalog (I love that store!) but none of them was the right size and all were too expensive anyway ($50 and up). So, I decided to make my own. I ended up borrowing a sewing machine from a friend, my engineer husband (he's so awesome!) set it up & threaded it for me and I made a cushion from an old navy blue blanket and stuffed it with pillow stuffing. This took me about 15 minutes and cost less than $10. Then I bought three canvas shoe bins at Target so each child has their own space to store shoes and a nice place to sit to take them on and off. It's exactly what I wanted for this space.


Crate & Barrels' bench cushion (my inspiration):



Gotta love engineers!



My finished product:

1 comment:

LisAway said...

Wow! Look at you! That's awesome. It looks great, is so practical and will be so easy to keep that area looking tidy. I definitely need something like that!