
My summer garden didn't produced as well this year as last year. It's hard to isolate the variables enough to know what may have caused the slow growth. We planted lettuce, which did fine, and squash, not so fine. There were too many plants crowding each other and after a month of neglect (well, someone did water them!) due to allergies, I finally braved the pollen infested green house and thinned the bunch. We were left with two squash plants; one yellow squash and one zucchini. The yellow squash is not really lovin' it's conditions. Bummer, because we had such a great crop last year and tried several new delicious recipes. The zucchini plant is doing ok, though, and made this whale which I harvested last week!
It gives new meaning to 'foot long'!
This zucchini whale was enough for two recipes, one batch of roasted potatoes & veggies and a pan of veggie lasagna. Both recipes were well received by all family members.
To its credit, the yellow squash plant did manage to eek out a small baby whale, by comparison, which I included in the roasted potato & veggie dish. It is very satisfying to be able to grow one's own food. And particularly satisfying to grow some vegetables that are hard to find in the local markets.

Our yellow squash plant is currently working on twins, yes twins! Very weird output this year, very weird indeed.
1 comment:
Yum! Some is better than none, I guess, especially when you have a two-recipe zucchini! The one you linked to sounds delicious. I'll have to make that this fall!
Post a Comment