Friday, May 14, 2010

What Color is My Thumb?

I've never really had a green thumb ... well, it comes and it goes. Mostly goes. In fact, most of the time I'd say I have a rather *brown* thumb. I can't seem to keep plants alive. The only plant that really stands a chance with me is the aloe vera plant, since they thrive on neglect! Right now I do have one lonely house plant, but someone gave it to me as a "Welcome to Mongolia!" gift last summer. Although it stays inside the house, the poor thing barely survived the winter since I often forgot to water it AND it became all root-bound in its tiny pot. I recently transplanted it into a much larger pot with some nice potting soil and plenty of room for stretching out its roots. It's much happier now perched on the kitchen window sill, close to the water source and sunlight. I just noticed today that there are tiny blooms on it - I'm so excited that it might actually make flowers!

I've decided that since I've sort of redeemed myself, it must be time to apply my gardening efforts to a bigger project. An outdoor project.

On our compound, the landlords have built a greenhouse and assigned soil plots to interested families. We have one, which I prepared and planted this morning. I've planted three types of lettuce, yellow squash, carrots and green beans. Decent veggies are hard to find here in Mongolia and each of these has a relatively short growth cycle. They're doable for the short growing season we have. I hope that my little garden stays happy and we can harvest something yummy in about 6 weeks.


4 comments:

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

wishing you green thoughts! I can't seem to keep plants alive (EVER) but recently we've had a few vegetables survive... hoping for some of the same luck this summer!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Katy--J

Think of your veggies as your family. Just feed them, water them (like you did with Brian), and give them lots of TLC!

Dad and I have developed green thumbs over the years with trial and error, ignoring the brown thumbs we were born with. He has always liked to water and feed plants, and my "talents" have run more to selecting them, digging little holes for them and tucking them into the soil--then I weed a bit, but generally I ignore them until there are results.

By the way, we are savoring the pears someone in with a green thumb in New Zealand grew! Thanks for such a delicious treat!!!

Love, Mom

Linda said...

Katy,
Mom and I are learning how to leave comments while viewing your blog on our iPad. I think we are getting the hang of it. We still don't know why the "J" appeared after your name.
Hugs,
Mom & Dad