Thursday, April 14, 2011

Grade 2 Readers Theater


Grade 2 performed three folk tales this morning in an assembly, Readers Theater* style. Brian's group read Goldilocks and the Three Bears with Brian as baby bear. There are 18 children in Brian's class, most of them ESL. It was amazing to hear how well these children can read in English! I'm sure I could not do as well if I was reading in a second, or third language. Nice job, Grade 2!

* Readers Theater Overview: Students become excited and enthusiastic about reading when they are presented with the opportunity to participate in Readers Theater. Students develop scripts, perform in groups, and practice using their voice to depict characters from texts. Through this activity, students have the opportunity to develop fluency and further enhance comprehension of what they are reading.

Brian was also recognized at the end of the assembly, along with this group of students, for having a birthday in April. Four of the 18 kids in Brian's class have April birthdays!!

No comments: