Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bathroom Remodel: Part 1

Since I don't have enough other things to do ... (HA HA HA) it's time to get the master bathroom remodel project underway.

I've finished the demo of the shower tile.  That. is. FUN.

I've got a quote from a plumber/contractor for the labor and plumbing parts. [cough, cough, ka-ching!]

And now I'm sifting through tile choices, paint colors, sink/vanity cabinet choices, faucet choices, mirrored cabinet choices, lighting choices, etc.

Deep breath.
Okay, another.
And another.

It's a really small space, so that limits what we can fit in there.

Some "before" shots:


old 1970's fixtures
everything white-ish, except the walls
(those were re-painted 2 years ago)

stupid little pressboard, over-the-commode
cabinet with sharp corners

again, 1970's "Hollywood" makeup lights
mirrored medicine cabinet
with one burned out bulb, lol!

dinky little 24" sink vanity with NO DRAWERS
ugh.

and a cracked counter top
and rusty hinges

oh, and a corroded faucet

really corroded.
and gross.

potential water damage from cracked
shower tiles ... seepage under the
cheap, ugly vinyl flooring causing
discoloration
ewwwwww.

rain shower head -- we liked it, it might stay
And some work-in-progress shots:


shower doors, tracks and tile removed from first wall
took about 30 minutes

the water damage becomes more clear
(although the photo is blurry, sorry)

after about 90 minutes work and
seven Trader Joe's bags of old tiles
tile is gone
I'm going to tackle the drywall, flooring and baseboards starting next week.  I need some "bigger muscle" to yank out the shower pan once it's been disconnected from the drain.  The shower doors are outside on our back deck waiting for an appropriate time to haul away ... trash man's gonna love me!

Taking things apart is very satisfying.  I have no experience or expertise in the putting-it-back-together part, thus the professionals are standing by.

I better check the status of my Advil container just in case my back complains about this 'situation'.

No comments: