Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Space Shuttle Up Close

Charles and I took a morning recently to explore the National Air and Space Museum so we could see the space shuttle, Discovery, up close.  For aviation enthusiasts, this place is a little slice of heaven.  Going there without kids, even nicer!  We acted like real adults (what is that?) and stood and looked, read, and examined for as long as we wanted.  It was really, really pleasant.  We snapped a few photos, but most were taken with the iPhone so they aren't the best quality.  This museum really has it all ... the first planes (Wright Brothers types), small planes, big planes, really fast planes, break-the-sound-barrier type of planes, private planes, commercial aircraft, military planes (bomb dropping planes!) and space exploration stuff.  All under one roof.  Awesome!  The IMAX theater had a cute display for The Hobbit movie, so that was an added unexpected bonus.  We even had time to go up into the tower to hear and see the air traffic for Dulles airport.  All in all a very enjoyable morning.












Little known fact ... about 2 months before Charles and I met, I had just completed my ground school class and earned my certificate.  I was planning to take private pilot lessons to earn my license.  Got a little side-tracked, though.  I can still do that in the future, but I'm happy for the long-term distraction that is my family.

No comments: