Sunday, June 29, 2008

It all looks Greek to me ;-) HA HA HA

I've had Mongolia on my mind lately. It is probably because Charles has only one more week of his current assignment then he will have some time off this summer and the day after Labor Day language training begins. I have not studied a language before which uses another alphabet than our beloved 26 letters for English ... so this will be a big challenge. I am trying to wrap my brain around the cyrillic ... here is a sample:

Cyrillic alphabet for Mongolian (Khalkha)

Cyrillic alphabet for Mongolian


One thing I noticed is that the upper and lower cases look very similar. This is a good thing. A very good thing. Wonder what language the horses speak in Ulaanbaatar?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Think of it as a cypher -- you're replacing letters with symbols -- and then it becomes a game. Greek, Russian, and Mongolian should all then become (mostly) understandable :-) Good luck!