Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer Week II: A week of projects

It's the second full week of summer and we are meeting it head on.  In addition to husband being away at training in West Virginia and daughter away for the week at Girls Camp, this week the contractor is here to complete our master bathroom remodel.  This project has been some months in the making.  After all the many decisions about design & products and going through the process to select a contractor then hurrying up to wait several times, it is very exciting to be at the install stage now!
I'm taking lots of pics, maybe too many, so I can remember what it all looks like in the various stages of disassembly and reassembly.

I removed the old tile a couple months ago so the shower has been torn apart for a while now.  The contractor finished the demo of the rest of the bathroom this morning.  That part took less than 3 hours.  The custom vanity cabinet and plumbing fixtures were delivered today and are parked in the living room and hall on the mid-level for now.  There are lots of holes in the walls of the bathroom.

Lots of holes.
Exploratory holes and unexpected holes!  Ha!

That's the hallmark of a renovation project, isn't it?!?  Some good news came out of it though.  We won't have to replace the subfloor (YAY!) and it will be possible to relocate the drain shaft (the thing that extends up to the top of the house so that air is behind the water in the drain pipes, forcing the water to flow quickly to the sewer) so that the mirrored cabinet can be recessed.  Two thumbs up.  A recessed cabinet might not seem like a big deal; it wasn't recessed before.  But, in this teeny tiny bathroom (it's 5' x 9') recessing the medicine cabinet will make a huge difference!

Lots of pics:
I got up early and covered the bedroom up with drop cloths
These projects are always so dusty/dirty

bare shower stall

tools and stuff

exploratory hole behind medicine cabinet
the pipe shaft thing can be seen to the far left

unexpected hole behind the toilet
previous owners must have had to make a repair
to the pipe
there's no evidence of water damage inside the wall

where the ceiling fan used to be

vanity used to be here
new sink and vanity
with drawers!!
it's custom because of the small size space

pile of new tile for the shower and floor

new glass shower doors
um yeah, in the hallway
it's only for a few days, right?
I, a neat freak, am coping with the chaos and piles around every corner pretty well.  I did find myself compensating by giving the microwave oven a thorough cleaning yesterday!  I'm also coping by escaping to the iPad and streaming previous episodes of Downton Abbey.  It's awesome!  And, not to worry.  If needed I am well stocked with dark chocolate.  That always brings an added measure of patience to any situation.

No comments: