Friday, June 28, 2013

Some "Quiet," Please


I am reading a great book right now.  It's called "Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.  Before I picked this book up at the library, I was thinking about how different I am compared to the groups of people I must interact with regularly. I'm thinking specifically about the other parents at the bus stop, the church congregation, the FS spouses, the book club, friends on Facebook, the Cub Scout parents, my co-workers (when I was employed full-time), etc.  So many of them are comfortable being extroverts.  It's work for me to figure out how to spend time with them and not be exhausted at the end of it.  Most times I am exhausted.  Then I need time alone to recharge, to think and ponder.  Ms. Cain's book celebrates the accomplishments and sensitive nature of introverts.   I feel validated by this book!   It's ok to think before you speak.  It's ok to quietly consider your options before making a decision.  It's ok to prefer to work alone rather than in a group.  We don't all have to be Harvard Business School types to succeed.  [yes!]

Society seems to really reward those with extroverted personalities.  [even overvalue maybe?]  The pressure to participate in social activities is intense.  Everyone seems very competitive.  After this week of summer camp(s) is over, I plan to spend lots of one-on-one time with my kids and my friends, read, listen to my iPod and revel in my introverted-ness!  

Extroverts, please, you go right ahead and keep doing what you're doing, if it's working for you.  I am taking a break from you, though.

Ahhhhh, summer schedule, I adore you.

No comments: